Twin-to-twin Transfusion Syndrome

Hello again! Well this is my second blog post and it's a bit of a heavy one as I'm going to do my best to explain Twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome and our experiences with this disease.

First, the factual info: (borrowed from the TTTS foundation website) http://www.tttsfoundation.org/

"Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome is a disease of the placenta that affects identical twin pregnancies. TTTS effects identical twins (or higher multiple gestations) who share a common monochorionic placenta. The shared placenta contains abnormal blood vessels which connect the umbilical cord and circulations of the twins."






Our experience...
We were told very early on in our pregnancy that there was a risk of the babies developing TTTS. It was obvious that they shared one placenta and had only a thin membrane seperating them. I guess our doctors and sonographers didn't want to alarm us or instill fear as the disease was very much played-down. Most of our questions were answered with the standard response of "well, we will worry about that IF or when the time comes". I did some research online, but as soon as I encountered the many listings of memorials, I soon developed the same attitude.

My pregnancy showed NO SIGNS of TTTS until I was 31 weeks pregnant. This was a blessing for us as many pregnancies develop the disease much earlier.

NOTE: If you are currently pregnant with identical twins and have learned there is a risk of TTTS for your babies, I would like to suggest the following as things which I believe helped us in our situation - they may work for you, they may not....


1. DO NOT torture yourself reading or watching memorials. This disease is VERY random and there are no two pregnancies alike, therefore you will not find another story similar enough to make a prediction on your pregnancy!

2. REST! I have read frequently that doctors have prescribed bed rest for women whose pregnancy has developed TTTS. During my pregnancy, my body seemed to know this and gave me no choice but to rest. I just didn't have the energy and when I did exert myself I ended up in severe pain. (I have to add here a little side note that just days before I was diagnosed with the TTTS I went on a long shopping spree which I found most difficult but was determined to finish getting the nursery organised! It's an interesting coincidence that my pregnancy was fine just days before hand and this was the week the TTTS started. My increased activity was the only unusual thing I had done.) It's not confirmed evidence, obviously, but as I said, an "interesting coincidence"!


3. TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS! Take special note of ANY changes in your body. I was told to watch for sudden swelling in the abdomen (faster than the usual pregnancy growth) and a feeling of tightness or fullness. I was not aware how quickly TTTS can develop. I had an ultrasound when I was leaving hospital after being treated for an infection at 30 weeks gestation and the babies were perfect - almost identical amounts of amniotic fluid in each sac. (A sign they check for to diagnose TTTS). That was Thursday. Monday morning I said to my family "If I didn't know better, I'd say I had TTTS!" as I had woken feeling that exact full belly feeling (though not tight) and just put it down to the babies' growth! On the Tuesday is when the next ultrasound revealed that we indeed did have a TTTS problem! A problem so great that the babies ended up being delivered 4 days later!

4. Keep a POSITIVE attitude and PRAY. Never give up Hope for your babies! There ARE success stories and we're one of them!














0 comments:

Post a Comment